Why you should join us:
At Sound Agriculture, we believe our food system can nourish consumers while benefiting farming communities and the planet. Through a deeper understanding of plant and microbial biology, we are leveraging the natural power of plants to make agriculture more agile and resilient. Our work focuses on developing nutrient efficiency products and modernizing plant breeding to improve the way we farm and the food we eat.
Sound is a Series D startup funded by leading investors in food and agriculture including Leaps by Bayer, Syngenta Group Ventures, S2G Ventures, BMO Impact Investment Fund, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Fall Line Capital, Cavallo Ventures, FootPrint Coalition and Northpond Ventures.
What you'll do:
Inside Sales Representative
We are hiring an Inside Sales Representative to generate sales growth from new business and maximize ROI from marketing generated leads. The Inside Sales role is a core sales position focused on speed to close with urgency, increasing conversion rates of inbound leads from MQL to SQL and then to closed/won. This role is responsible for understanding the entire SOURCE product line and selling to growers across the US (this includes a basic knowledge of corn, soybean, wheat, cotton, and hay production.)
The Inside Sales Representative works independently as the first impression of Sound Agriculture and the SOURCE product line. This role requires high-energy and the ability to create excitement for those in the early stages of awareness. Ideal candidates have experience selling crop inputs, understand row crop production, are passionate for sustainability including soil health, fertility, and water quality, and are eager to disrupt the status quo with new, innovative solutions. Successful candidates demonstrate discipline, consistency, and an ability to stay engaged in repetitive activities (managing inbound leads and cold-calling). Inside Sales Reps work closely within their team on sales proficiency and receive coaching, mentorship, and sales skill development on an ongoing basis.
This position reports to Sr. Manager, Inside Sales and is based remotely across the United States. Travel expectations are minimal to non-existent throughout the year, but increase during trade show season (ISRs may be on the road up to 50% of the time between Aug-Oct and Jan-Mar).
$64,000 to $70,000 base salary
$20,000 commission target
Commission targets are uncapped and measured by sales against quota. Commission earnings are paid three times annually.
Sound reserves the ability to adjust the compensation range based on the final candidate’s experience, skillset, and geography. In addition to on-target earnings, we offer above-average equity grants for the industry as we believe that every employee should have a stake in the company’s growth. If you’re above this compensation target, we encourage you to reach out and discuss the entire package and opportunity before deciding not to pursue this position.
- 80% prospecting on inbound leads including calls, emails, texts and social media messages to educate and increase awareness and interest in SOURCE products
- Utilize CRM (Salesforce and Outreach), social media, and other digital tools to build awareness and interest in our SOURCE product line
- Execute inbound lead generation process, including the use of software like Salesforce, Outreach.io, and related tools to have an appropriate activity cadence through phone, email, and text
- Utilizes call recording functionality to improve individualized and team training and development, pinpoint communication opportunities that lead to positive or negative customer sentiment, improve departmental understanding of customers, increase understanding of the complete sales cycle
- Accountability to maintain accuracy in a rolling pipeline reviewed bi-weekly with the manager
- Drive a value-based sales process, differentiate SOURCE from other agricultural products
- Ownership in the entire sales process
- Achieve inbound sales targets in collaboration with Marketing, Strategic Accounts and Agronomists, helping to close new grower accounts with SOURCE products
- Maintain open channels of communication and collaboration with the regions via regular updates and quarterly strategy meetings both remote and in-person
- Respond with urgency to all inbound sales leads from events, online and strategic accounts.
- Increase speed and percentage of inbound prospect conversion and close rates (within a scheduled time frame)
- Move prospects from the top of the sales funnel to being a signed customer with speed
- Analyzes customers’ needs, assist in creating tailored messaging and strategies to engage prospects, and creates demand for SOURCE
- Improve qualification of customer to improve customer retention rates year over year
- Logs activities into the Customer Relationship Management (Salesforce, Outreach.io) systems
- Successfully build referral based business objectives and execution strategies
- 15% represent SOUND and execute trade shows objectives, meeting revenue goals and show/event lead targets
- Own trade show execution
- Generating leads and securing sales at events/trade shows
- 10% account management activities
- Work to maintain customer satisfaction, completing expected touch points throughout the year
- Serve as subject matter expert to support content development by relevant internal teams (Marketing, Customer Experience, Revenue Operations, etc.)
- Participates/engages in ongoing sales skills and personal development training once a month
- Understands the seasonality of sales in agriculture
- High level of prioritization and execution by attainment of individual, team, and cross-functional OKRs
Targeted Skills & Experience
- Tenacity in digital outbound sales calling; excitement for building new business
- Demonstrated success as a direct sales professional including achievement of sales goals across multiple products and industries
- Ability to translate quota and work in reverse to create a strategic sales plan (sales activities, weekly/daily goals)
- Self-management of key sales KPIs including closing ratio, typical length of sales cycle, number of calls to close, etc.
- Strong passion and enthusiasm for sustainable agriculture
- Experience identifying customer needs and crafting a personalized value-proposition in real time vs. following a script (using discovery and active listening to assess need and provide a sound solution)
- Ability to sell based on value and ROI, including business financials and price/volume relationships
- Ability to build strong relationships over the phone, and by video conferencing
- Experience selling new product lines that create a new market, vs. established categories that are mostly stealing market share
- Strong working knowledge of Google Suite, Salesforce, and Outreach.io
This role demonstrates our core values by:
- Boldness: Actively analyzes market opportunities and pursues all qualified leads; pushes beyond sales goals and targets to achieve big results for our customers and colleagues. Takes initiative to seek out and attempt new sales tactics for lead generation and closing deals.
- Ownership: Is willing to do whatever it takes to meet and exceed sales targets. Is disciplined in their work and takes accountability for planning and executing their daily, weekly, and monthly revenue generating activities.
- Tenacity: Not easily discouraged by rejection, does not make excuses, is solutions-oriented, willing to accept a challenge and do what it takes to overcome, personal drive to move forward, starts and finishes strong. Manages workload to balance repetitive activity and focus efforts on achieving goals.
- Creativity: Uses a blend of new tactics and trusted tools to generate leads, pursue growers, and close deals.
#REMOTE #LI-REMOTE #REMOTE-US
What we offer:
- Opportunity to work in a disruptive startup with a talented, experienced, and growing team of dedicated individuals
- Competitive total rewards package, including equity
- Performance bonus structure or uncapped commission plan for sales positions
- Comprehensive health care plans that include Medical, Dental and Vision coverage
- Flex Spending Account (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter Benefit)
- 401(k) with company match
- Generous flexible paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Mental health and wellbeing benefits
- In-person and virtual events and engagement activities (we actually like hanging out with each other!) (e.g. First Fridays, Meditation, Potlucks, Cultural Events, Running and Climbing groups, Photo Contests, weekly Team lunch, etc.)
Sound Agriculture does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third party recruiting agencies responding to job postings. We will not respond to unsolicited requests to submit candidates.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status.
Sound participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the United States. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Sound is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before Sound takes any action, including terminating your employment.